Monday 11 March 2013

Difficult decisions



My roadtrip bag just sits there. My campaign flag is folded up neatly. My ambassador T-shirt and lanyard resting on top. 

Day one into the road trip and my knee decided to have a hissy fit. Well not exactly a hissy fit but I did manage to aggravate an old knee injury. End result: return home from the road trip. 

Life really is made up of difficult decisions and I can honestly say this was one of them. I cannot begin to tell you how excited I was to be able to go on this road trip. Especially after the last road trip I had been accepted as an ambassador but couldn't go because I was on crutches at the time.  I remember thinking just last week how brilliant it was that there was nothing physically stopping me for going on this road trip and it felt good. Till the end of day one that is.

So I had to make the tough decision to return home and not continue campaigning my way to the lawns of parliament. Now, it would be all to easy for me to feel defeated by this Roadtrip. I mean I didn't even make it out of the state but I refuse to feel defeated or knocked down. Yes my knee hurts, yes I'm not physically on the RT but it doesn't mean I can't continue campaigning. 

All day I have been having conversations about ending extreme poverty. With friends, family, colleagues and even strangers. Yesterday alone I collected 54 signatures. Because of my knee I had to see my doctor yesterday ... walked out with his signature on the petition. Every person, every opportunity. 

I may still be in my home town but I am determined to have my voice heard. I will continue to campaign for what I know is right.

An end to extreme poverty, that's what I'm working towards. Will you join me?

You can sign the petition here at endpoverty.com.au
 

No comments:

Post a Comment