Thursday 21 March 2013

A reminder of values


Today I was asked to do a presentation at Clonard College, my old high school. The focus of my presentation was the Movement to End Poverty and the power young people have to make a difference in our world. 

As I listened to the teacher introduce me to her young Year 10 students, I realised just how far I have come since sitting in those very same school chairs. My confidence and approach on life has changed since my own Year 10 days. I have always shown an interest in helping others but now I know just how much of a difference I can make. 

I began to speak about the impact the Oaktree Foundation has had on my life. Through campaigns, camps and trainings I have learned so much. I learned that I have a voice! That I can truly make a difference in our world. The Oaktree Foundation was one of the first organisations where I really felt listened to and valued as a fellow activist. I learned that I was not alone in working towards an end to extreme poverty!

I continued with my presentation highlighting the strong voice and power that young people have in creating positive change in our world. The importance of aid and what it has done for our global community was discussed with some great questions asked. I remember feeling confident in all I said. I have come a long way in confidence and knowledge of my self and social justice issues since I sat in the classroom in my dress and blazer. 

After my presentation, I was invited to stay and assist in their classroom while they worked on their community service projects. It was such a great experience talking with students in smaller groups as they explained their understanding of the Catholic social justice principles and how they relate to the work that organisations do within the global community. 

Having these conversations discussing the Catholic social justice principles was a lovely reminder of the values I believe in. These principles are the foundations that have shaped the work that I do. To me, these social justice principles are no longer just print in a book but are now incorporated throughout my life. 

Human dignity, working towards a common good, assisting the poor, participation and social inclusion, solidarity and subsidiarity, and to show stewardship for all creation. This is what I believe in and follow each day.

I will continue to work for a peaceful and just world for all. I hope that you will join me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment