Thursday 2 May 2013

The latest antics of Tara Lee

It has been awhile since I have had a chance to just sit beneath the Peace Tree. I am at an exciting moment in my life where I have received my final results for honours and can begin to embrace the real world outside of my cocoon of study.

So in the past month, I have thrown all my energy into a campaign I am incredibly passionate about.  Live Below the Line, is an Oaktree Foundation initiative where participants feed themselves on $2 a day for five days while raising funds and awareness for the 1.2 billion people living in extreme poverty each day. 

Personally, I love this campaign as it is more than just a fundraising campaign. Live Below the Line encourages personal awareness through experiencing a "taste" of what it is like to live in extreme poverty while also creating countless conversations about this important issue and what can be done about it.

My role as Geelong Coordinator has had its share of challenges but nothing beats that feeling when you are surrounded by people who are as passionate as you are. My lovely Geelong LBL ninjas helped me paper Geelong with posters and chalked messages of ending extreme poverty. 


I have also hosted a Whovian Dinner Below the Line, given presentations to local community groups, contacted MPs, about to hold a Live Below the Line kitchen tea, started organising a celebration fundraiser, and have very talented friends who created an amazing Live Below the Line video.

As you can see it's been a busy month of Live Below the Line but I love it. 

Outside of the world of Oaktree, I have started my search for employment. I believe that working in early intervention is where my heart lies and I look forward to embracing the world of the paediatric occupational therapist very soon. 

So where am I now? Quite literally sitting in a library about to do a Live Below the Line presentation. But where am I really? I can confidently say, I am in a happy place. 



You can join Live Below the Line or sponsor me here


No comments:

Post a Comment