Wednesday 18 April 2012

Handcrafted tales from Portugal

I have never travelled to Portugal but after reading the beautiful threads from The Thimble Folk it is now on my list of places to see.



These lovely people, Rachel and her family, have travelled across Portugal taking in the amazing scenery and explored the local crafts, listening to the tales of the local artisans.


This is something I would love to do myself one day.




To travel to another country and see firsthand the stunning colours and intricate embroideries, hand moulded ceramics that bear a fingerprint and most importantly pieces which hold such rich stories.


So when Rachel and her family returned home with many treasures from their travels, I was very excited to go into their little shop and come home with many delightful goodies.


“Every piece has soul and respects the hands that made it.”


These words make me happy. It was one of the reasons I just loved working in at the Oxfam shop as well. I love pieces that have a story behind them.




Whether it is hearing about the grandmother who embroidered slippers to the gorgeous clogs and bags made from silk scarves, there is skill and soul in each piece.


If only all shops would embrace this wonderful attitude and respect the hands that make their products.


Imagine the stories that could then be told.

No comments:

Post a Comment